Is it Possible to Sell Avon Online Only?

by Lynn Huber on April 10, 2010

Girl using computer to sell online

Absolutely! If you are an eRepresentative, you can run your entire business online.

I know that’s a little different than what we’re used to with selling Avon, but there’s no reason you can’t be high-tech/high-touch in your business.

Did you know that all Direct Delivery online orders are now accumulated within the campaign time-frame and will count towards your campaign totals for that campaign. That means this will also affect your earnings on all orders that campaign if the total moves you to the next earning bracket – even for your personal orders! At the end of the campaign, Avon will issue a credit to you if your Direct Delivery orders moved you to the next earnings bracket.

And if your online Direct Delivery earnings exceed your personal sales, your commission can be direct deposited into your bank account!

Here’s an idea. When a customer calls you to place an order, what if you said, “I’ll tell you what… I’ll arrange for Avon to deliver that directly to you so you can get it right away!”. Then you get their credit card and you submit the order on your eRepresentative website for them and choose Direct Delivery. Develop a system of user names and passwords to make it easy for you to keep track of them, or keep them in a spreadsheet. It would be just like you were a Customer Service Representative at Avon taking their order. Before you know it, all the time you spend on delivering products to your customers can be a thing of the past. Look at all the time that will leave you to build relationships with your customers and spend more time with your family.

And once you have your customer’s information in your web office, Avon will send them professionally written e-mails to promote your site and your business; eliminating the need for you to spend your money on brochures.

But keep in mind that it is still very important to be high-touch with your customers. You’ve got to build that relationship to keep them coming back. So how do you do that? Call them every once in a while. Ask them how they liked that last product they purchased. Send them an e-mail to check in every now and then. Or… send them a postcard. People love to receive a nice postcard in the mail. It’s a personal touch that they’ll remember. You can keep a stack of postcards handy so you can fill them out as needed. I use a wonderful service that makes it really easy – as easy as sending an e-card, but the card is actually printed (in your handwriting) and mailed for you to arrive in their mailbox. The service I use is called SendOutCards. ┬áIt doesn’t really matter what methods you use; just develop a system that allows you to be high-touch with your customers without taking a lot of your time.

So what are you waiting for! Now is the time to sell online!

Please share your experiences below.

by Lynn Huber

{ 35 comments… read them below or add one }

Belinda Siu April 10, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Thanks for sharing. Always such a special lady. Take care

Chris Breeze April 10, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Thank you Lynn great blog ,cuts right to the chase . Learned something here today even though I have erep orders & customers

Judy Pinkham June 13, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Thanks great post

Deborah Hunter January 22, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Thanks! great post, this is exactly what I want to do in the near future is go to online selling only. This article gave me the encouragement to do it and know that it is truly possible!

Mary Bertsch January 25, 2011 at 9:09 am

Yes, I agree that you can sell Avon online. It’s great not having to deliver so many products. Great information!

vera attia September 22, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I tried that , because I travel a lot and i have no way to keep track of deliveries. That’s how I started avon, but let me tell you, first of all, the number of customers is not very high. I only had about 5 orders in 1 month. :S!!!! Also, I thought I could set up discounts for my customesr to encourage them to buy and it would be deducted from my profits…well guess what? the online adjustment tool does not apply to give customers discounts..Also, if I try to add customers and ship directly to them, it also doesn’t work. The online system has a lot of flaws in it. Not very happy and re-thinking this idea of being a sales rep. since I have no option to do it except online. I’m not too happy with the results so far. Feel free to email me if you have tips or ideas because I’m almost giving up.

Lynn September 22, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Hi Vera,

The best I can give you is that it takes time to build an Avon business especially online. You might be able to build more traffic by using Social Media which would help your sales. I currently get about $400/campaign on online direct delivery orders, but it did take quite a bit of time to get there.

vera attia September 23, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Lynn,

I am curious how long and how much money you spent to start making $400 profit on avon?? i started about a month ago, I printed out 100′s of colored flyers for online shopping with the coupon code and gave out, put in stores where they allowed me, handed personally and used local delivery methods. Used samples and gave them out with call backs. I have a facebook group that I put ads about online (barely any clicks) and no purchases so far through online ads. I created a beauty group that everyone enjoyed but once people found out I sell avon and I put ads on that group, they started to drop off the group ……i tried craig’s list and i got the most offensive responses from people. For some reason it seems to me like when I say the name “Avon” is repelling people not attracting them!! What’s making it worse is that Avon increased the amount of ‘free work’ in order to make profit. Which means I’m trying to get people to buy for $50 before I start to make any profit. If people are making profit off of Avon, what am I missing or what am I doing wrong??

Vera

Lynn Huber September 23, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Hi Vera,

Sorry, I guess I wasn’t very clear. I do about $400 in award sales, not profit, per campaign. Not to discourage you, but it took me 10 years to get to that level. But then again, I wasn’t focused on only growing my online business but rather using it as another way to get sales.

Mostly I built my business by putting out 1400 brochures every campaign.

Hugs,
Lynn

Mike October 2, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Hi Lynn,

Do you have any idea how fast your business grew once you started putting out 14400 brochures per campaign.? Did you bulk mail or how did you distribute them?

Lynn October 2, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Hi Mike,

Actually it was 1400 brochures. I’d bulk mail about 400, used about 400 in racks around town, and distribute about 400-600 on doorsteps. The rest I’d save for downline members. Off of those 1400 brochures, I was selling about $5,000/campaign, so yes the quantity made a huge difference.

Hugs,
Lynn

vera attia October 3, 2011 at 12:48 am

Well, I am getting more brochures but here is the thing I am noticing people are taking my brochures and ordering from other reps. Anyways, I’m starting my own online business next to Avon to try to help out with the expenses of Avon….so far I’ve been my best customer. 3rd month now… Started around the end of july…

Lynn October 3, 2011 at 6:42 am

Hi Vera,

Sometimes that happens. But then again, there will be times when someone else gives a person a brochure and that person will order from you. You can worry about that. Just keep doing your best at what you’re doing and don’t worry about anyone else.

Missy October 27, 2011 at 10:13 am

Hi Lynn,

I was wondering if you knew if it’s possible to offer discounts to my online customers?

Thanks
Missy

Lynn October 27, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Hi Missy,

I don’t think there is a way to offer discounts for Direct Ship orders. Sorry.

Hugs,
Lynn

Mike October 27, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Hi Missy and Lynn,

I sometimes offer a 10% discount on orders of $20.00 or more (items with a diamond in front of them are not eligible) and before tax and 75 cent order fee is added. I give them the $2.00 plus as a credit on there next order. They have to use the discount on there next order. I don’t have a lot of online business yet but so far it has worked,

Lynn October 27, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Hi Mike,

I assume you’re doing that with Representative Delivered orders. I don’t know of a way to do that with Direct Delivery.

Hugs,
Lynn

vera October 28, 2011 at 1:31 am

Missy,

NO…I fell into that mistake, i tried to offer online discounts. It only works if YOU DELIVER….so no it is not doable..I got embarassed after my friend bought something and she didn’t get a discount. I can only sell online and it is not working for me. i’m advertising daily and no sales……..zero sales for the past 2 months…..

Mike October 28, 2011 at 11:29 am

Hi Lynn,

I give my online customers the discount on their next order.

Mike

Mike October 31, 2011 at 10:00 am

The other thing I do is send them a check for the amount of the discount with a thank you note and I ask for referrals.

Lindsay November 1, 2011 at 8:09 am

Hello there! I don’t earn or make money either. It sucks. It seems like I am spending more and more and not earning or making any profit. I send my boks out, but nobody isn’t buying. I f they do buy I pay for it. I am better off working at McDonalds. I can make money to pay bills. I buy stuff for myself because of the motto buy it, show it, and sell it. It’s not working. I even give them my email address personal and business. It’s cool though.

Brittany November 6, 2011 at 4:55 pm

I was wondering where you find out your online direct dilivery order earnings and how you get it without direct deposit?

Lynn November 6, 2011 at 5:13 pm

You can see your online earnings in your web office – on the right side where it says “You have…” ___ Direct Delivered Orders.

Your earnings will just be applied to your account so it will come off the balance you owe Avon. If you have a credit balance you need to have direct deposit to receive the earnings.

Rachel December 12, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Hi Lynn, Just the info I was looking for. I have been w/Avon 5 yrs & now want to be an e-rep only with direct delivery only. Is it correct that I will not incur the “one simple fee” charge or any other charges with online “direct delivery only” orders? I would like to advertise my site again, but I don’t want to personally deliver anymore.

Rachel December 12, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Forgot to ask. What happens if a direct delivery customer has a return? Thanks for your help!

Lynn December 12, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Hi Rachel,

When your customer receives their order, there is a return label and instructions in the box. They will deal directly with Avon.

Lynn December 12, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Hi Rachel,

That is my understanding. But Avon has made many changes lately so you will probably want to verify that with them. I just received a notice that if a customer chooses Direct Delivery than we’ll now only earn 10%, so you might want to ask about that too.

Hugs,
Lynn

jennifer mcgowan January 24, 2012 at 1:16 am

need some good ideas on how to get customers I live in MI

Dee Foster February 17, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Hello Lynn its only partly true about the 10% commision i havve been a an erep for awhile. If a customer unsubscribes and comes back you will only receive 10% in that case

Jean March 25, 2012 at 2:58 pm

We were told a few years ago to start getting signatures on all credit card forms. How do you handle that when you say you take a credit card & place a customer’s order for them & choose direct delivery?

Lynn March 25, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Jean, if I don’t know them and they’re not local, they must choose Direct Delivery!

Ann April 5, 2012 at 10:18 pm

I am shock to read how little some of you are making, or making nothing. Time is valuable and again this company is really about their comporate enrichment. I was thinking in selling Avon but after reading the posts. I will not waste my time. Time is something you could never get back. $400 in award sales? and it took 10 years. If you add all your unpaid miles, and time spent to sale low price items and get very little commission is not worth it. I am glad I reasearched it. I think Avon relies on people joining and buying their products themselves. I hope you guys find something else. I currently do not sale anything but will stay away from Avon. It seems like is a scam after all.

Cheers,

Lynn April 5, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Hi Ann,

The $400 in award sales was in Direct Delivery orders from my website. I was actually doing about $5,000 in award sales every two weeks.

Dee Foster April 6, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Lynn. Such a waste of time to even respond to this person. Peesonally. I have only built my my business online since i started two years ago. It is possible to only sell on the internet you have to put in the work just like anything else.

Some people will continue to find an excuse to stay in their present circumstances

Dee Foster April 10, 2012 at 3:46 am

Lynn i have a question off topic. Because i saw no way to leabe it there do i mind sharing the script you use for ur voice shot messages im thinking about trying it out myself does it still work to increase ur sales or did ur customers get annoyed and start suppressing their phone numbers